Last Monday we met up with our Homeschool Adventure Club and explored the winter habitat by the Utah Lake. We met at the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (somewhere I had never been before) and explored the stream and nearby marshy areas.
The day was absolutely freezing. The temperature was 23 degrees. I dressed the boys in good snow pants and boots, but I should have made them put on better gloves and more pairs of socks. We started out happy and having a blast.
We even got to see where a beaver chewed down a tree, the beaver dam, and this little nest carefully attached to a small tree that was only 2 or 3 feet high.
Then the cold really started to get the better of us and we had lots of complaining and not moving moments. Thankfully all the other kids were having the same problems so we weren't ever left behind.
Luke was a champ though. I'm sure he was cold, but he didn't even mind. He even reached both hands into the freezing river and didn't even seem to notice that his gloves were sopping wet. This kid is one tough cookie.
By the end Peter was beyond upset and inconsoluble. He wouldn't even stand up to get this picture (a requirement of every club event we attend). He was pretty much upset with me the entire rest of the day. I am such a mean Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment