Tuesday, December 28, 2021

A big mess

For several years the faucets on our jetted tub have leaked and been loose. It recently got so bad that the faucets wouldn't work at all.

I thought I would be handy and replace them. Parts from Amazon took about a week to arrive. Then I searched for the water turn off value. No easy access anywhere. I made a bad decision and mistakenly thought that as long as the faucets were turned off surely I could just swap the parts out. Bad, bad idea. I ended up with a geyser and a flood all over my bathroom floor.

I managed to get the tightening bolt back on so the geyser stopped, but the water wouldn't stop running. So, at 11:30 at night I went and got the very long sprinkler turn off key. It worked to turn off ALL the water to the house. 

Finally after midnight I fell into bed completly exhausted. Bad dreams about water going everywhere had me back up at 4am. Grrrr!

After shoveling snow and contemplating what to do, I attempted to get it turned off. The stupid valve is in the worst spot. It's mashed between the furnance and water heater. I tried a hammer, broom handle, the sprinkler key, a wrench, and a pipe. I couldn't get anything to work. 


It really is shoved in the worst spot. Meanwhile, I got the tub faucet replaced. Then I texted my neighbor, Brandon, and then called my Dad. Ugh.
Dad had so many great suggestions which didn't work. My arm just needed to be skinnier. I really was so mad at it. I cryed over this water valve.

Then my neighbor came over (Neil) and popped his hand back there and had it back on in nanoseconds. I am SO greatful for him. I want so desperately to be handy, but I always flop so badly. He also came and fixed the faucets on the tub so they were tight. I was trying to use a dril bit because that's all I had. He brought over his hex set and got it done perfectly. I put a hex set on my wish list.

The sad thing is now I want to try and fix the cold water on my 2nd master bathroom sink. It was leaking so badly and I didn't feel capable of fixing it. So, we just turned off that valve and don't use that sink. Someday I will be handy. I will probably make a lot more blunders in the process though.

No comments: