Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Botony

While Peter was away, Luke and I started our next unit study in science. We will be learning about botany for the rest of the school year. It's my favorite topic ever! I've always wanted to have a Venus fly trap plant. I saw this kit at Hobby Lobby and I knew we needed to try it out. The seeds are soooo tiny! I was really quite shocked at how small they are. They also take forever to grow. It will be a good 2-3 months before we will even see them sprouting.

This kit came with two different varieties of seeds. The first type (venus fly trap) we were able to plant right away. The second type (sundews) need to sit in the fridge for 6 weeks and then we can plant them in soil. They also have to be watered with distilled water because the minerals in our normal water will kill the seeds. I'm loving it. Luke was not even excited. In fact, he said he was so worried about the plants eating him that he wouldn't even help plant the seeds. WAY too many human eating plants on his video games, I guess.




We also talked about how roots help plants to grow. As a visual representation I showed Luke what my crazy orchid plant is doing right now. It has decided to grow some roots right above leaves that are already on the plant. They are growing at a very rapid pace. I'm enthralled with checking on it everyday. My sister says that orchids are normally very finicky and need extra care. Mine has been so hardy and I treat it just like all my other houseplants. It hasn't been hard to take care of at all. I've had this plant two years and I'm really hoping it will decide that it wants to bloom for me once these roots are finished growing.

No comments: