Thursday, July 20, 2017

Birthday Party for Grandpa

When we were knee deep in snow last year, I realized that my paternal Grandfather would be celebrating his 110th birthday on July 10th. I was craving the sunshine so badly, and I decided right then and there to organize a party for him.

I set out to discover what his favorite foods were plus any other things about him that I could. I read my fathers life story, and looked on family search. I was also able to talk to his daughter about him. In the end, we had a really fun day getting to know him, and enjoying some things that he did.

For dinner we had grilled fried hamburgers with milk gravy plus mashed potatoes on the side. I made them fairly chunky since I'm not sure they had hand beaters back them. As a result, my boys wouldn't eat them, but all the more for me and hubby.


Then, we drove up to the Orem Cemetery to enjoy cake and icecream. I also took some pictures and 11 balloons (one for each 10 years). The boys tolerated the few stories I shared of him. Then, we released the balloons and they were so excited about that. After they soared out of sight we sat down and had cake/icecream. 



We had such a nice time. It was a beautiful, cool July evening. I think this will become an annual tradition. I think next year we will invite other family members to participate. Celebrating Grandma's birthday might be a bit more cold. While we were there, I noticed her birthday is on December 14th. Next year (2018) will be her 100th birthday so......we'll have to brave the cold and do something fun. Maybe, if it's cold enough, we can blow bubbles and watch them turn to ice. 

No comments: