Thursday, December 11, 2014

Letting Go

Last year Peter and Brandon brought home this Christmas ornament from Disneyland. Although it's just a simple ornament, it represents something so much larger to me. When Peter was born Brandon told me that he would be taking Peter to Disneyland when he was 5 years old - just the two of them. I thought he was crazy. Mostly because I am a penny pinching scrooge and I didn't want him using his hard earned money on such a frivioulous trip.

But, here's the thing, I was wrong; so wrong. As Peter's 5th birthday approached, Brandon started making plans and booking hotels/flights. Peter was thrilled and so excited to go. I watched him eagerly countdown the days for their departure. The day Luke and I dropped them off at the airport is a day forever frozen in time for me. Watching Peter hold Brandon's hand as they walked to the boarding area is a frozen picture in my mind that time can never erase. 

Within just a few hours of their departure I realized how important this trip was for the two of them to do together. It provided them extended bonding time with each other and shared experiences they can treasure together without mommy tainting their memories (not in a bad way).  I'm glad Peter had a chance to be alone with Brandon. I'm also glad that Brandon had a chance to be alone with Peter. I'm especially thankful that Brandon was able to see Peter in his most vulnerable moments up to this point in his life.  Needless to say, Luke and I are both starting the countdown for his trip to Disneyland with Papa (13 months and counting).


1 comment:

Alli said...

No matter the cost of a vacation with family or one family member, it is the wonderful memories and the bonding time with the kids that are the most important thing in life! I never regret the amount of money it takes for a vacation with my littles for they do not stay little long.. but memories last a life time.. :) So important to bond together! :) such awesome memories for peter and Luke as well! :)