Thursday, March 25, 2010

St. George

Whenever life seems complicated or just too much for me to handle, I beg Brandon to take me to St. George. We typically make it down there at least once a year. Usually for our anniversary in March.
St. George is wonderful because the weather is always warmer then it is at home. I also love it because Brandon lets me go "crazy" with shopping. I pinch pennies like a miser when I'm at home, but when our St. George trip comes around, I spend $$$ like there was no tomorrow. I also love St. George because I can be lazy. If I don't want to get up until noon, Brandon would let me. If I didn't want to shower for 3 days, he would let me. And if I didn't want to do an ounce of cooking or cleaning, he would let me do that too. Ah, it's just so wonderful! Plus, he always tells me it's my vacation and I get to decide on what to do, when, and even where to eat. He really does spoil me rotten on these trips.


This trip was fun because Peter is now old enough to grasp the concept that we are away from home doing fun things. He absolutely adored the palm trees and funny looking bushes. He would point at them and babble baby talk to them. It was darling. He also loved walking everywhere on his own. At times we had to chase him here, there, and everywhere as he got into mischief. But that's okay. It was worth it.


Peter also loved going swimming. He thought it was so funny to hit the water and splash us all. He kept doing it over, and over, and over again. His cute little laugh was contagious. While we were swimming another little boy came and joined us. For a while there, he and Peter were ball catching buddies. It was really cute to watch Peter interact with someone a lot older then himself. Brandon and I enjoyed the pool and the hot tub too. It was so nice just to "kick back" and relax.




I also love St. George because of the temple there. Each trip we go and walk around it and I remember how blessed we are to know of the eternal nature of families. It also reminds me of the amazing pioneer people who settled the area and then built this beautiful temple because they were commanded to do so. Honestly, I am amazed every time I go. I come away feeling so grateful for life's blessings. With Brandon and Peter at my side, I feel invincible!






On our way home we stopped in the little tiny town (population is just 6100) of Beaver. I've always wanted my picture taken in this great big rocking chair and I finally got my wish. Peter loved it just as much as I did. I think it would totally be awesome to have one of these in our backyard someday.


Thank you St. George for giving this worn out momma the rest and relaxation she needed. Now back to life and all of its adventures. Until we meet again.....................

13 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

Looks like alot of fun. I have not been there for ten years! I think I need to go.

Alli said...

AWWWW so fun!! I am jealous of EVERYONE and there awesome trips.. *sigh* PLEASE NEXT YEAR be my turn!!! :) Love your pic's.. SOunds SOOOO FUN!! :)

Alicia Bunderson said...

Laurie I'm so glad you get to go away and relax and spend money! You totally deserve it!! Glad ya'll had fun.

Katrina said...

So glad it was so fun! And what fun pictures! As I was reading I had the thought that maybe all I really need is time away and time to swim! :) Maybe we should do a St. George trip asap after baby is born! :)

I'm so glad you got pictures in that chair! That is so cool!

Hope you had fun tonight..sorry I didn't make it. If you have time tomorrow, you are welcome to come play for a little bit too!

Brandon said...

I just wanted to clear up a few things mentioned in this post.

1) I would never allow Laurie Ann to go three days without taking a shower. (Anyone who knows me understands this to be true.)

2) I completely object to the pictures of Brandon the Whale in the hot tub and pool. I am truly sorry for all of you that have to see that. I hope that someday you will recover.

3) It is important to remember that it was I that taught Peter the difference between a daffodil, pansy, and snap dragon. (Go ahead and ask him, he can explain it to you.) That is another reason that we love going to the temple grounds. You get to see beautiful landscaping.

4) I don't really understand why the giant rocking chair is so important to my wife, but if the queen demands a replica in her backyard, I will obey. (If I ever get a backyard. Does anyone know of a good yard sale?)

Thank you all for your time. I hope this clears things up for all of you.

Brandon

Caroline Shoell said...

You are so sweet to coment on my blog! Thanks for recovering my baby's shoe. You are a women after my own heart, we often head down to st. george to play too. And i love to shop! My favorite are Ross and TJ Maxx. They always have awesome deals! Anyway it was good to hear from you. Your blog is darling and so is you little boy! By the way you do such a good job as R.S. president!

Anonymous said...

LOL to Brandon's message. And I think that chair is way cool! So glad that you guys had a blast! Yahooo! Peter is getting so big!

-Lis

Kaeloni said...

Sounds like a blast. Glad you had the break you needed and deserved!

Erica said...

So fun! I've only really driven through St. George.

LOVE the picture of Peter sleeping. So precious!

Funny comments too, Brandon. :^) And good for you for humoring your wife. We need that kind of thing now and again.

By the way...any plans yet of another Disney World Trip???

Amy said...

What a GREAT post! I too LOVE St. Geoge...but Iam a little bias ;) If you ever need a babysitter in St. George while you go into the temple I have lots of family there! =)

Ashley said...

Hey! That's our temple!! Ben and I were married there Dec 2004. Cute, I know. :) Looks like you guys had fun!

RoBecky said...

Oh, man, Brandon's edits are too funny!

St. George looks REALLY familiar to me. Were we there on the wagon train? I may have been there before the wagon train started w/ the McFarlands, though. I can't remember. It looks crazy familiar to me.

Here Dwells Happiness said...

Haha, yep that's Brandon for ya. Always a hoot. Yes, the wagon train did go through there. It was during the part that we went home so I'm not exactly sure where you camped. It's such an awesome town. One day I'll take you there :'-)