22 But be ye adoers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a ahearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a bglass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
I had a chance to reflect on this scripture this morning and determine for myself if I am a doer, or just a hearer of the things I learn at church and believe in my heart.
I arrived at church 10 minutes early ready to soak in a beautiful sacrament meeting. I typically park at the back doors and then walk around to the west side because the back doors are always locked (we are the first ward in the building). As I came around the building, I noticed crepe paper confetti strewn all over the sidewalk up to the front doors. I inwardly started to groan and complain about the people that made the mess. I can't believe they would leave it looking like that knowing that church meetings would be happening in the morning. I'm assuming it was left from a wedding reception the night before.
Anyway, I walk in at the same time as another couple. Bless their hearts, they said "I'm sure someone will take care of it once it warms up" (15 degrees outside). In my heart I knew that I wouldn't be able to sit and enjoy the meeting knowing that litter was covering the sidewalk all the way up to the front doors.
So, I quietly make my way to the custodian closet to see what I can gather to clean up the mess. The one thing that worked best was my push broom and my ryobi leaf blower. It only took 45 minutes in the freezing cold, but my heart was so warm inside. I know it's what Jesus would have me do.
On a funny note, I also found a pair of discarded shorts in the parking lot when I was triple checking that I got all the confetti.

No comments:
Post a Comment