Math - Super proud of the boys this week. They both did a great job. Peter is all about independent work this year. Luke has had a bit of summer slide - not worried about it though. Luke finished a Math book. On to the next one. I had them do practical math applications in addition to math textbooks. Peter chose to work with Oreo's and their cost. Luke chose to work with Minecraft.
English - Teatime is back! We all loved it. Peanut Butter M&M's for both boys. No surprise on the topic of Peter's poem today (see busybrothers.blogspot.com). Both boys are doing cursive. Peter doesn't mind it and often writes his spelling words in his own version of spelling. As usual, Luke is not thrilled with handwriting.
History - Queen Victoria and Prince Albert was our history topic for the week. We learned about Prince Albert and his quest to build the Crystal Palace. It made me remember all the times sitting down to watch the show on PBS called Victoria. So Good!
Science - A 5th grade science textbook for Luke this year. This week was all about categorizing animals. Luke knows more about animals that most kids I know. He enjoyed this chapter. I hope that having Rex around helps Luke to make a connection with reptiles. I was pondering this week about how learning can also be making connections between facts and emotions.
Minecraft & Game Design - These classes won't start until the beginning of September. I had the boys jot down their initial desires for the class. It will be interesting to see how the class aligns with their ideas. I hope they don't get too disappointed if the classes aren't what they expect them to be.
Our read aloud books this month are:
The One and Only Bob (Luke)
Amari and the Night Brothers
The boys are really enjoying them. Luke had some emotions come up when I read this part in his book...
"Why should I forgive the humans who tossed me and my siblings out into the night? When you forgive, you lose your anger, and when you lose your anger, you get weak. And when you're weak, you can get hurt all over again"
I had some emotions come up when I read this part....
"When you've been through the worst with someone you appreciate the best."
I am glad that when this happens we can sit with the emotions and process them. This week, I have taken so many moments to be in the moment and realize how amazing it is that I can homeschool my boys. I am praying every moment of every day that I can find a job that can accommodate homeschool too.
No comments:
Post a Comment