This holiday season has been my favorite so far. The boys and I have done so many wonderful things. It has all happened because I stopped using Facebook and decided to live my own life on my own terms instead of trying to keep up with the lives of everyone on Facebook. It's been a really good thing.
In school, the boys and I made these fun poems. I really love that poems can be whatever you want them to be. There are no set of rules to follow. Just like homeschool. I am free to explore, research, and determine what is best for my children.
Peter and I spent quite a bit of time rebuilding this Harry Potter dining hall. I think it was on my kitchen table for two weeks. I thought I had all the pieces in one specific bucket, but I was wrong. I was the piece finder, and Peter was the builder. It was such a great project to work on together. We are displaying it proudly on the piano with all our Christmas nativities.
Here is my poem. I was telling my friend on Marco Polo (Lisa Hogelin) about the poems the boys and I wrote. Then, I decided to write my own. It's all about the cute gingerbread treat the DUP camp captain brought over to my house (Susan Mitchell). I have felt so much love from so many people this season, including both of the ladies mentioned above.
One night I spent some time on myself listening to a Webinar by one of my favorite story tellers. This is Jim Weiss and Julie Bogart. Julie is the developer of our Learning Arts program this year. It was such a fun hour listening to ways I can be a better story teller. We already do A LOT of read aloud books and I really enjoyed learning more ways to make books become magical. Jim also did a John Wayne impression that was so impressive. It was a great night.
One night, the boys and I drove these packages of candy around to three houses in our area. We thought it was so much fun. The boys loved picking their favorite lighted house and then doorbell ditching the candy. I think it might become a tradition we do every year.
Our good friends - the Thomas family went away for a few days to visit family. While they were gone we took care of their sugar gliders. Since we were over there, I also did a little cleaning. This teapot needed a good clean and I also got some vacuuming and stove top cleaning in. The Mom of this family has littlies and it must be so hard to get any cleaning in with two darlings underfoot.
I have started taking the boys out once a week for outdoor adventures. It has been good for all of us. On this particular day we hiked up to the Shale pit here in Springville. At least that's what people here call it. I don't think it is shale. It is more like chalk powder. When I tried to do research on what it could be all anyone said was that it was leftover tailing from mining operations that happened on this mountain many, many years ago. Regardless, it was an enjoyable hike and the boys can always see this on the mountain and know that they climbed up onto it.
This season I have learned how to make some new treats. I had a friend send me a recipe for Mexican wedding cookies. Some people call them snowball cookies. Regardless, they are amazing. I add both vanilla and almond extract to them. I've made two batches. Enough to eat plenty myself and some to share with many others.
My darling cousin - Bekah came over for a visit one Saturday. I gave her a plant start and she helped me shovel snow for the Thomas family while they were away. This picture will always be a happy memory. We worked hard and enjoyed every moment together.
No comments:
Post a Comment