, earth quakes.
1b. It is important to study so people can plan for volcanoes and earthquakes. We talked about the recent earthquakes in Draper plus the volcanoes that can impact airplanes traveling their normal routes.
2. Collected some rocks on a hike to the Payson Grotto
3. Investigated all the rocks I found on my rock hunt. There were so many kinds. I separated them into bowls depending on the type of rock they were. The ones on the towel are special ones. One of them my cousin found for me. It has crystals on it.
4. Chose six rocks and did the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. My favorite were the ones that I could scrape with my pocketknife. A lot of my rocks were also able to scratch glass.
5. My Mom had me investigate this map of Utah. It's a topographical map. That means you can see super high mountains that are different colors. I was able to find the Uintah Mountains. Plus, I was able to find lots of deserts.
6a. We talked about the materials that our homes has. For example, the foundation of our house is made out of concrete. Also, we have stucco on the outside of our house which is something that is made out of little bits of sand and other stuff. Also, on our fireplace we have some tile.
6b. We talked about some things that are made out of geological materials. My Mom and I looked up pictures of the Provo City Center Temple (made of lots of brick), Salt Lake Temple (made of quartz), rock fences in England, and the Ashton-Driggs house in Pleasant Grove (build out of rock slabs). My Mom also showed me the Lincoln Memorial Building in Washington D.C. That building is made out of marble. I think it must have cost lots and lots and lots of money.



No comments:
Post a Comment