Sunday, April 23, 2017

Last day in St. George

On the morning we were suppose to leave I told Brandon that it had been such a fabulous trip that I didn't want to go. So, while I was taking a shower he was looking up good family friendly hikes that we could do with the short time we had.

The first one was actually in Arizona, which didn't end up being that far away. It was just two freeway exits away. We had to do a bit of dirt road driving which Brandon loved. Since we went first thing in the morning there was nobody out there except for us. It was SO MUCH FUN!



It was so amazing to go out to this huge mountain and see where ancient people had inscribed the rock. I haven't seen a sight like that in many, many years.The boys just thought the whole mountain was cool and it was nice there was a definite trail so we could tell the boys to stay on it.

It was also cool since we've been studying about rocks in school this month. Peter & Luke were both able to see metamorphic changes happening to the rock on this mountain. It was also fun to show them how the water and wind can influence what a rock looks like - particularly sandstone. Hands on learning is really so cool!
 




After we were done there we headed back to the city of Washington. The next stop was to find a dinosaur footprint. We went to a dirt road down one of the neighborhood streets. It took us eventually up to a water tower and that's where we stopped.

Another group was just coming back and they said it was right at the bottom of the first decline. We totally missed it and went hiking and hiking for quite a bit longer. It was enjoyable, but we eventually got the phones out and found out we had totally missed it. This hike was more intense and we had to take a few breaks for tired legs. The views were incredible and I'm so glad we went.


This looked like a sego lily to me. I had to take a picture.

A cactus that was blooming. I'd wanted to see one our whole trip and finally got to.




We finally found it and in the effort to take a picture completely cut out the footprint. LOL.

No comments: