A few weeks back I awoke during the middle of the night for a routine potty break. However, my mind was very alert and I decided while I was up I might as well say a prayer asking for specific direction in regards to this particular problem. The thought came to me that I should make a jar for each child and then when they did something unkind to each other they would have to put something inside to symbolize their unkindness.
The next day I got busy and made jars. A few days after that I went to the craft store and bought a variety pack of colored pom poms. Then, the week after, I sat down with the boys and told them what we were using the jars for. Unfortunately, the jar idea was a failure. Honestly, I think it's because I was always threatening them with putting a pom pom in the unkindness jar. So once again I went back to prayer and had the idea of praising the boys for their kindness instead. Talk about a complete change in behavior. We've been doing it a few weeks now and Peter has already filled up his jar twice. Every time a jar is full that child gets a special treat. The first time Peter got some of these:
The second time he filled up his jar he got a bag full of Green Army Men. As a side story Peter is obsessed with Toy Story and anything related to Toy Story. He has Buzz, Woody, Hamm, Rex, Mr & Mrs Potato Head, and Bullseye. He uses an old pound puppy of mine for Slinky Dog and he uses some green blocks to make the Space Alien Babies. So, when he filled up the jar this time he really, really, wanted Green Army Men. I thought they would be so easy and cheap to find. Turns out I was totally wrong. None of the Dollar Stores had them, neither did Walmart, Shopko, or the grocery stores around here. We finally were able to find a bag at KMart. Thank goodness, because I didn't want to have to order them from Amazon.
Anyway, Peter is about 1/2 thru filling up his jar for the third time and once it is full he wants me to take him and Lukie on a picnic to Daddy's work. Not exactly sure how we are going to make that work since it will be February and there will probably be snow on the ground. I have a feeling we will end up in Daddy's office eating on a blanket with Daddy's office door shut. LOL, what a fun memory this jar has been.
Here are a couple of fun pictures of Peter getting his pom poms and filling up his jar.
2 comments:
Great idea! I've also learned the value of rewarding good behavior instead of focusing on the bad. Makes a big difference!
Awesome. :)
Post a Comment