Sunday, October 23, 2011

Advice for the person I used to be


A few weeks ago a friend wrote a post to her 16 year old self. Her post caused me to do a lot of thinking about myself and the person I've become. This picture of me is when I was 22 years old. At the time I just started attending college again (after a break of 4 years). I was working part-time for UVU and attending part-time classes. I wasn't sure at the time where my life was headed. All I knew was that I wanted to finish my undergraduate degree. I also knew that I wanted to find a great guy to marry. Needless to say, those dreams became a reality for me.

As I look at this picture I can't help but think about how I'm not really the same person I was back then. I've changed in so many ways. For instance, I'm no longer working for a paycheck. Instead I work for the betterment of two little boys. I'm their Mom and my daily challenge is to keep them fed, clothed, and happy. Some days I'm able to fulfill that challenge and other days I don't.

I also think about how I'm not nearly as self centered as I was back then. Goodness knows, most days it's all I can do to get myself showered and dressed. Forget getting my hair done or makeup on (that's a luxury I can only manage to get done on Sunday's for church). The boys keep me too busy to be very self centered.

I also think about how I was always so worried that I'd never find anyone who would love me for the person that I was. Thank goodness, that person somehow stumbled into my life. I honestly don't know how Brandon and I managed to become interested in each other. We were both unlikely candidates for each other and when it comes right down to it, we don't even have that much in common. But, he has been perfect for me. He absolutely refuses to allow me to have emotional meltdowns (last time I had one was when Luke was born 9 months ago) and he puts up with my whims of trying to be crafty.

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice I would first of all tell myself to chill out and enjoy life a little more. Honestly, I was a pretty serious person. I would also have told myself that motherhood was going to be a whole lot harder than I imagined it to be.

Well, there you have it. I've set out to do what I've wanted to do for over a month now.That, dear readers, is what happens when you become a mother. Everything gets pushed to the back burner if it's not a critical thing that has to be done immediately. For that, I think, is the sign of a mother who cares. One who has good intentions, but ends up spending all her time feeding, clothing, and keeping her children happy.

TTFN.

4 comments:

Erica said...

You are amazing, Laurie Ann! You always have been. :) Thanks for the birthday wish you left me on my phone a month ago. Sorry it's taken me so long to say anything about it! Life is beyond crazy right now and it's all I can do to hang on. *hugs to both your 22 year old self and your now self* :)

Alicia Bunderson said...

Isn't it nice to look back and think..I've done it, I am who I wanted to be, instead of shoot, what went wrong! you are wonderful. I'm glad my bro and you found each other, I just love ya!

Alli said...

Motherhood is the best gift ever.. Even if we get alittle overwelmed with it. I think back sometimes of who I was years ago and I am so glad I am who I am now. I wouldn't change it for the anything! :) Brandon did good! WE love you both!! and your darling boys too! :)

Anonymous said...

I think that this was when I first knew you and I don;t remember you being self centered or serious